October 23, 2020
SQF Code Edition 9
The ongoing globalization of our food supply chain requires us to regularly review and update the SQF Code so we can continue to evolve alongside the global marketplace.
Edition 9 aligns with the latest GFSI benchmarking requirements and is designed to help you meet and exceed all industry, customer, and regulatory requirements, so you can remain competitive across sectors.
Edition 9 is for Audits beginning May 24, 2021. Companies using SQF Code to achieve the highest level of food safety management practices are leaders in the industry and trusted partners of retailers and consumers.
Gigi Vita, chief food safety assessment officer and senior vice president of SQF, noted, “Companies using SQF Code Edition 9 to achieve the highest level of food safety management practices are proven leaders in the industry and trusted trading partners among retailers and their shoppers.”
Vita continued, “We listened to our global community to ensure this edition better reflects the reality of their current business operations. Our goal was to simplify the SQF Code architecture to improve learning, understanding, and implementation of the Code requirements so that SQFI continues to be a trusted partner in achieving success.”
The new edition architecture includes, in part:
- Simplification of audit duration guidance, supporting Certifying Bodies and SQF sites.
- Improved efficiencies and accuracies to reduce time and cost.
- Recommendations for flexible technology in order to foster confidence in a modern food safety system.
- Remote activity guidance to address times of extraordinary circumstances, such as the COVID-19 pandemic.
“In an effort to continue to make the SQF food safety management process as straightforward and understandable as possible, we collaborated with more than 300 stakeholders and global professionals to further streamline the Codes, considering more than 800 comments to Edition 9,” LeAnn Chuboff, vice president of technical affairs, SQF, said.
To assist sites with understanding Edition 9 and the enhancements for the site audits, SQFI has a series of training available, including:
- SQF Global;
- SQF Edition 9 Conversion Primer;
- SQF Edition 9: The Changes You Need to Know About; and
- A free Edition 9 Recorded Webinar Series covering the topics of Overview & Highlights, Remote Audit Activities, In-House Lab Requirements, Quality Code Changes and Food Safety Culture.
For more information and to download SQF Code Edition 9, please visit: https://www.sqfi.com/sqf-code-downloads/.
The SQF (Safe Quality Food) Institute is a division of FMI, and was established to administer the SQF Program, a leading, global food safety and quality certification and management system. While we are most famously known for our globally benchmarked food safety and quality program, we do so much more writing and maintaining this standard. The SQFI mission is to deliver consistent, globally recognized food safety and quality certification programs based on sound scientific principles, consistently applied across all industry sectors, and valued by all stakeholders. www.SQFI.com