July 17, 2019
On July 02, 2019, SQFI published the newest edition of the SQF Code – Edition 8.1. While the announcement of a code update may sound intimidating, we assure you that this edition update is not anything to stress over!
The SQF Food Safety Codes, Quality Code and Fundamentals Program have been updated based off the suggestions gathered from SQF staff and stakeholders. The primary goal of this update was to correct typos, grammar error, formatting errors, numbering issues or incorrect references, wording or terminology. As promised, this edition change was a minor update with little impact to the site and there were no changes that would require the site to implement new programs or policies.
With the 8.1 release, the intent of the quality code has changed. Instead of the code being very prescriptive with a focus on Statistical Process Controls (SPCs) requirements, the intent is now refocused on controlling process variation.
Below are some of the updates from Edition 8.0 to Edition 8.1
- Corrected and aligned correct Code references.
- Reworded requirements for clarity and to align with other modules.
- Removed irrelevant wording (i.e. quality in the Food Safety Codes).
- Removed incorrect word references to align with industry language.
- Changed numbering when the numbering was not aligned.
- Changed module headers to remove reference to “Food Safety Fundamentals.”
- Added two new requirements for multi-sites.
- Quality Code: Removed reference to “statistical” and focused on process controls.
- Quality Code: Removed surveillance requirement.